This just in! The NYS legislature has passed our safe staffing legislation!!
As a reminder, this is a package of two bills, and they're a HUGE step in our fight for safe staffing in our healthcare centers in NYS:
Hospital Safe Staffing Committees (S.1168/A.108)
• Require hospitals to create staffing committees made up of worker representatives and management.
• Make staffing plans enforceable by the Department of Health.
• Direct the Department of Health to mandate staffing ratios in intensive and critical care units.
• Require staffing data to routinely be made publicly available to all on the Department’s website.
• Allow the DOH to investigate and impose stiff civil penalties against hospitals that fail to 1) form a staffing committee and create a staffing plan 2) resolve violations of their plan.
Nursing Home Staffing Levels (S.6346/A.7119)
• Require 3.5 hours of direct patient care in nursing homes, per resident, per day.
We'll share more details ASAP, but this is awesome news, and would not have been possible without your hard work over many years, including this one (maybe the hardest year). Congrats everyone!